Fans To Return At Australian Open
Victorian Government lift strict COVID-19 lockdown rules
The Australian Open will welcome fans back on-site at Melbourne Park for the final four days of the major championship.
“We look forward to welcoming fans back to the Australian Open for the next four days and to finishing the event safely and on a high,” said Craig Tiley, the Australian Open Tournament Director, on Wednesday.
“The crowd will be capped at 7,477 for each session, which is approximately 50 per cent capacity.”
Victorian State Premier Daniel Andrews announced that the five-day lockdown, which was implemented on 13 February following several COVID-19 tests linked to a Melbourne airport hotel, would be lifted at midnight on Wednesday.
“Last week, we had our first real experience of live sport with fans in the stands and the atmosphere was electric,” said Tiley. “The players appreciated the opportunity to compete in front of crowds for the first time in almost a year, and many spoke about how emotional it was to connect with fans again.
“The COVIDSafe measures we had in place will continue, and we’ve opened up the zones so everyone can access the full site and enjoy both Grand Slam Oval and Garden Square. We are all looking forward to an incredible four days of tennis and can’t wait to see everyone back at the AO.”
The decision means that World No. 1 Novak Djokovic, the eight-time Australian Open champion, and qualifier Aslan Karatsev will contest their semi-final on Thursday in front of fans on Rod Laver Arena.