Federer vs. Nadal: The 10 Stats You Need To Know
Thanks to quarter-final victories on Friday at the BNP Paribas Open, Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal will meet for the 39th time in the Indian Wells semi-finals Saturday. This will be their fourth clash in Indian Wells.
History is on the line for both men at this tournament, the first ATP Masters 1000 event of the year. If Federer can move past Nadal and triumph in the final, he will lift a record sixth trophy at the event. Nadal on the other hand could extend his record of 33 Masters 1000 triumphs to 34 if he wins in the California desert for the fourth time.
ATPTour.com looks at some of the stats you need to know ahead of Federer and Nadal's encounter:
- Nadal and Federer’s 38 prior meetings are third-most in the Open Era (Nadal/Djokovic 53, Federer/Djokovic 47).
- Federer is 37 years old, making him the oldest semi-finalist in BNP Paribas Open history (since 1976).
- Nadal holds the record for most Masters 1000 titles with 33. Federer is third with 27, trailing only Nadal and current World No. 1 Novak Djokovic, who has 32.
- Federer has held in 31 straight service games against Nadal.
- Nadal and Federer have met 19 times at Masters 1000 tournaments (Nadal leads 12-7).
- Nadal has won 17 more sets than Federer in their rivalry (Nadal leads 67-50).
- Federer has won 11 matches against Nadal on hard courts (11-9).
- Nadal and Federer have met in nine semi-finals (Nadal leads 6-3).
- Federer has won five straight matches in this rivalry after Nadal won five in a row. Nadal has had 3 runs of 5 straight wins
- This will be Federer and Nadal’s fourth FedEx ATP Head2Head meeting in Indian Wells. In addition, Federer and Nadal have both won four matches against one another in the United States.
Federer & Nadal's Three FedEx ATP Head2Head Meetings At Indian Wells
|2012||SF||Roger Federer||6-3, 6-4|
|2013||QF||Rafael Nadal||6-4, 6-2|
|2017||R16||Roger Federer||6-2, 6-3|
Combined Statistics - Federer vs. Nadal at Indian Wells
|Stat||Roger Federer||Rafael Nadal|
|First-Serve Points Won||66.1% (72/109)||63.6% (68/107)|
|Second-Serve Points Won||53.7% (36/67)||52.7% (29/55)|
|Break Points Won||69.2% (9/13)||37.5% (6/16)|
|Break Points Saved||62.5% (10/16)||30.8% (4/13)|
Did You Know?
While Djokovic is currently in the top spot, Federer (310) and Nadal (196) have combined for 506 weeks at No. 1 in the ATP Rankings — nearly 10 years!