Murray, Djokovic Withdraw From Miami
Elbow injuries keep top players out of Masters 1000 event
World No. 1 Andy Murray and World No. 2 Novak Djokovic have withdrawn from the Miami Open presented by Itaú because of right elbow injuries. Murray, a two-time Miami champion, made the announcement on Saturday, confirming he will miss the event for the first time since 2005.
“Sadly due to a right elbow injury, I won't be playing in Miami,” said Murray in a statement. “Apologies to the fans, it's one of my favourite tournaments. The focus now is on getting ready for the clay season.”
Djokovic, a six-time champion at Crandon Park, shared the news on Facebook on Sunday. He last missed the ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournament in 2005 as well. “My doctor has strongly advised against play because my elbow injury, that I keep carrying on for months, got worse in the past week. I will do everything in my power to recover and do all the necessary therapy to be able to return on court as soon as possible,” he said.
Murray will likely rue missing the opportunity to increase his lead in the Emirates ATP Rankings over Djokovic. Murray lost in the third round last year in Miami to Grigor Dimitrov, while Djokovic won the title for the third consecutive year. The Miami Open presented by Itau runs from 22 March - 2 April.