Nadal, Federer Headline Round Of 16 Day; View Wednesday Schedule
Nadal to play Krajinovic, Federer to face Edmund
Ready for Round of 16 day at the 2019 BNP Paribas Open? The 16 men remaining in the singles draw all play Wednesday for a place in the quarter-finals at the season's first ATP Masters 1000 tournament. Rafael Nadal, a three-time titlist in Indian Wells, will lead off the action on Stadium 1 against Serbian qualifier Filip Krajinovic, the 2017 Rolex Paris Masters finalist. Five-time champion Roger Federer will face Kyle Edmund, who recently won the Indian Wells Challenger title.
Also in the bottom half of the draw, the 19-year-old #NextGenATP Canadian Denis Shapovalov, this week’s No. 24 seed, meets 22-year-old Pole Hubert Hurkacz, one day after both players earned the second-biggest wins of their respective careers (Hurkacz beat Kei Nishikori and Shapovalov defeated Marin Cilic). John Isner, the 2018 Miami Open presented by Itau champion, clashes with Karen Khachanov. On 1 November, at the Rolex Paris Masters, the 22-year-old Khachanov saved two match points against Isner en route to the biggest title of his career.
In the top half of the draw, Philipp Kohlschreiber, who ousted World No. 1 a five-time former winner Novak Djokovic in the third round, will look to continue his run against Gael Monfils during the night session, but the Frenchman leads 13-2 in their FedEx ATP Head2Head. Kohlschreiber’s German compatriot, Jan Lennard Struff, victor over three-time ATP Masters 1000 champion Alexander Zverev on Monday, plays 2016 finalist Milos Raonic.
Elsewhere, seventh seed Dominic Thiem, a quarter-finalist in 2017, takes on 40-year-old Ivo Karlovic, while 19-year-old lucky loser Miomir Kecmanovic plays Yoshihito Nishioka with a maiden ATP Masters 1000 quarter-final on the line.
STATS OF THE DAY
- Eighteen different players won first 18 titles of season for first time since ATP Tour was established in 1990.
- Only two of those 18 players remain in BNP Paribas Open draw (Roger Federer, Gael Monfils).
-  Gael Monfils is 14-3 in 2018 -- his best 17-match start to a season in 15 years on ATP Tour (2005-19).
- W-L Record vs. Top 10 Opponents
-  Karen Khachanov: 7-16 (4 straight wins in 2018 ATP Masters 1000 Paris 3R, QF, SF, Final)
-  Kyle Edmund: 2-17 (2-3 in last 5 vs. Top 10)
- Ivo Karlovic: 21-59 (1-6 in last 7 vs. Top 10)
- [Q] Filip Krajinovic: 1-8 (8 straight losses since win vs. No. 2 Novak Djokovic in 2010 Belgrade QF)
- Edmund has won seven straight matches in Indian Wells (5 Challenger, 2 BNP Paribas Open).
- Karlovic, 40, set record three times this week as oldest player to win an ATP Masters 1000 match.
- Krajinovic has not dropped a set in five wins at BNP Paribas Open (2 qualifying, 3 main draw).
- Bids to become 1st qualifier in Indian Wells QF since 3 men in 2003 (Ginepri, Spadea, Vahaly).
- Philipp Kohlschreiber was 0-11 against players ranked World No. 1 before defeating Novak Djokovic on Tuesday.
- Players contesting their first ATP Masters 1000 fourth-round match: Hubert Hurkacz, [LL] Miomir Kecmanovic
- Players seeking their first ATP Masters 1000 quarter-finals: Hurkacz, Kecmanovic, Yoshihito Nishioka, Jan-Lennard Struff
- Two teens (Kecmanovic, Shapovalov) are in Indian Wells fourth round for the first time since 2007 (Djokovic, Murray).
- Four players under age 23 (also Hurkacz, Khachanov) are in Indian Wells fourth round for the first time since 2009.
- Kecmanovic bids to become first lucky loser in the Indian Wells quarter-finals since start of ATP Masters 1000 series in 1990.
VIEW ORDER OF PLAY - WEDNESDAY, 13 MARCH 2019
STADIUM 1 start 11:00 am
[Q] Filip Krajinovic (SRB) vs  Rafael Nadal (ESP)
Not Before 1:00 pm
 Kyle Edmund (GBR) vs  Roger Federer (SUI)
Not Before 6:00 pm
Not Before 8:00 pm
Philipp Kohlschreiber (GER) vs  Gael Monfils (FRA)
STADIUM 2 start 11:00 am
Yoshihito Nishioka (JPN) vs [LL] Miomir Kecmanovic (SRB)
Jan-Lennard Struff (GER) vs  Milos Raonic (CAN)
Possible Court Change -  John Isner (USA) vs  Karen Khachanov (RUS)
Not Before 6:00 pm
Ivo Karlovic (CRO) vs  Dominic Thiem (AUT)
Not Before 8:00 pm
 Lukasz Kubot (POL) / Marcelo Melo (BRA) vs Dominic Inglot (GBR) / Franko Skugor (CRO)
STADIUM 3 start 11:00 am
Hubert Hurkacz (POL) vs  Denis Shapovalov (CAN)
Not Before 2:00 pm
 Oliver Marach (AUT) / Mate Pavic (CRO) vs  Raven Klaasen (RSA) / Michael Venus (NZL)
Nikola Mektic (CRO) / Horacio Zeballos (ARG) vs  Juan Sebastian Cabal (COL) / Robert Farah (COL)
Watch Tuesday's Third Round Highlights